Find my weekly media titles for all my publishers on Bookmanager here. Note that Rough Magic is getting amazing media, I’ve included some details below. Also, PGC won BIG at the Griffin Prizes, taking home both International and Canadian prizes; winners receive $65,000 each.
Winner of the Griffin International Prize
Autobiography of Death by Hyesoon, Kim ; Choi, Don Mee (11/27/18)
9780811227346 | New Directions Publishing | PGC
Paperback | Price: $25.50
71 on hand.
Judges citation: “In the grievous wake of the Sewol Ferry incident of 2014, the Korean poet Kim Hyesoon composed a cycle of forty-nine poems – one for each day the dead must await reincarnation – to produce a harrowing work of shock, outrage, and veneration for the children lost to this disaster. Through Don Mee Choi’s extraordinary translations, we hear the clamorous registers of Kim’s art — a transnational collision of shamanism, Modernism, and feminism — yield ‘a low note no one has ever sung before.’ That otherworldly tone may sound like life itself, the poet sings, ‘for even death can’t enter this deep inside me.’”
Winner of the Griffin Canadian Prize
Quarrels by Joseph, Eve (05/30/18 | Out of Stock)
9781772141191 | Anvil Press Publishers | PGC
Paperback | Price: $18.00
Working with Anvil on getting more stock.
Judges citation: “In Quarrels, Eve Joseph’s delightful collection of prose poems, you enter the marvellous and that is the truth! The poet has surrendered herself to the realm of the illogical, trusting that it has a logic of its own, and the outcome is, indeed, a new music. These poems are intriguing spaces and moments defeating the boundaries of the real, but rest assured, Joseph leads you by the hand with warmth, wit and empathy.”
A truly endless amount of buzz for Rough Magic by Laura Prior-Palmer. It was included in Chatelaine’s June/July Summer Round Up, was a top 15 most anticipated book of the year by Esquire, and was included in a summer reads round up guide in The Globe and Mail this weekend!
Rough Magic: Riding the World’s Loneliest Horse Race by Prior-Palmer, Lara (05/17/19)
9781948226196 | Catapult | PGC
Cloth | Price: $37.50
Stock coming around then end of June.
Praise and accolades:
- “Think the next Educated or Wild. Palmer’s memoir of beating the odds to become a horse champion is an inspiring saga of perseverance—and a classic underdog tale.” — Entertainment Weekly, 1 of the 15 Most Anticipated Books of the Year
- Named a Best Book of Spring by Wall Street Journal Magazine, Esquire, Elle, Southern Living, and Buzzfeed
- “If you like your memoirs to revolve around singular experiences, Lara Prior-Palmer’s Rough Magic delivers.” —The New York Times
- “Excellent prose and rigorous honesty . . . An unusual pleasure to read . . . Prior-Palmer writes with a dash and boldness few writers possess.” —NPR
- The Buzzfeed Book Club has selected Rough Magic for their June 2019 pick.
- An ABA Indie Next Pick.
- An Official Junior Library Guild Selection.
- Upcoming reviews and features in The Washington Post, O: The Oprah Magazine, Orion, The Daily Beast, and more.
- Featured in The New York Times‘s “5 Things.”
- An interview with Entertainment Weekly.
- An interview with Salon .
- A rave review in the San Francisco Chronicle.
- A glowing review on NPR.org.
- An interview/feature with NYLON.
- An interview with ESPN’s “In The Gate” podcast.
- A feature in The New York Post.
- An excerpt in Longreads.
- A wonderful review in Ms.
- Featured in Newsweek.
- Featured in Shape.
- An interview with Electric Literature.
- A review in Thoroughbred Daily News.
- A starred review in BookPage.
- A starred review in Publishers Weekly.
- A great review in Kirkus.
- A rave review in Library Journal
- Reviews in Booklist and Booklist YA.
- Real Simple, One of the Best Books of the Year (So Far)
- Esquire, One of the Best Books to Read This Spring
- Wall Street Journal Magazine, 1 of the 12 Best Books of Spring
- BBC Culture, 1 of 10 Books to Read This Month
- One of Refinery29‘s Best Books of May
- Southern Living, One of the Best New Books Coming Out This Spring
- Elle, 1 of the 25 Best Books to Read This Spring
- One of O, The Oprah Magazine’s Buzziest Books Being Released This Month
- Cosmopolitan, 1 of the 14 Best Books Coming Out This Month
- A Publishers Weekly Most Anticipated Book of the Season
- A The Millions Most Anticipated Book of the Year
- A Philadelphia Inquirer Big Book for Spring 2019
- BuzzFeed, 1 of 37 Amazing New Books to Add to Your Spring Reading List
- Bustle, 1 of 47 New Books to Add to Your Reading List